Monday, March 16, 2009

Few Words in My Opinion

I heard conflicting reviews and judgments about Slumdog Millionaire but I was interested to see it, regardless. I wanted to see the movie not because it was nominated for the Oscar, because I know nothing about the measuring bar of the Oscar, nor really am interested in the movie business, competitions and politics.
I like movies, for the stories they tell, for the lessons they teach, for the moments they catch where otherwise I miss. I like movies for the beauty, for the truth, for the options they offer, for the imagination, for the inspiration.

I don't spend much time on movies, but I like good movies.

I wanted to see Slumdog Millionaire because it is about India, about love and really, about sorrows and matters of life.

What I liked in the movie? I liked the children. I liked how in the movie they showed these kids from the slum community who are smart (street smart? who cares!), fast, strong. They don’t have to be liars how some may expect them to be. They are also talented.

I guess, the word slum does not sound that bad when heard, but once seen can haunt one in her dreams. But, these slums have its soul, its heart beat, its love stories, its devotion and passion and victory. Some of slums' battles are won and some are lost.

Once seeing it one almost draws a line of "another" world, different from "own".

Considering that the movie is not a documentary, in my opinion, it depicts very closely the scenarios of life of the slum dwellers. They are not consumed or horrified by the poverty - they live life as it comes - they go to school and get scolded by the teacher (little rascals!), fall in love (yes, that very first love), loose mother in the religious and ethnic riots (face death), get hurt by a betrayal, are being blessed and rewarded, they also get tired and burdened but they also have their joys… and how different are these worlds after all?

I also liked the love line in the movie. Jamal loves Latika! It is beautiful how he "fights" for her; how they find each other and the last dance they dance!

I am amazed and keep pondering at the complexity of Indian character or nature, if I may simplify it that way. I noticed that Indian people are very patient, long suffering, sacrificial... but impatience can be expressed in a very unexpected way...in a horrible bike or car honking, the absence of lines.....

I also thought that the music composition gives a taste of what one hears on the streets or in the rickshaw or a taxi in modern India.

I was touched when the lady on the street who spotted Jamal blessed him, she did not beg for money.

And it brings a knot to my throat and also I smile when I see "all" India keeping their breath, praying, crossing fingers...when one of them wins, or has an accident, or runs a cricket game!

In general, I liked the movie.
But I like the movie Guru the best and it is one of my favorites along with Kannathil Muthamital (A peck on a cheek), Salaam Bombay and Umrao Jaan.

No comments: