Friday, March 03, 2006

Not To Be Trashed

The blood slowly but surely drained from him, as he lay helpless at the threshold of his sister’s house, with his open-broken legs and pocked liver. It was one of the saddest and darkest accidents with no investigation of whose wrong it was and no consequences, but one – a lost life.

In counted moments my neighbor died as he had just enough time to ask for forgiveness from his sister for all his shortcomings, which she even had a hard time to remember: he always has been a kind, helpful and generous brother all the years that she remembered him, with few incidents, that with the years she did not count against him.

Three days prior to this devastating accident another neighbor was struck to death on his head. This time it was violent robbery. Man killed another man for a fur hat. This ill-starred hat! Or maybe a heart that opened its doors to greed and jealousy? Whichever, the consequence is - another waisted life.

I became sick from learning the end of my neighbors. I wept for several days. It was just in an instant – and life was gone! No methods, no technology to return them back to life.

I wept for the sorrow and grief that precious life was trashed.
I thought of the One who creates life and wondered how His heart feels when He sees us trash each other’s lives. His heart weeps, for each one, absolutely each one - is precious in His sight.

God, help me to remember that each life is more then just a creation - it is a masterpiece.
Help me to remember that I am a steward not only of my life, but I am to look after the welfare of my brother and sister, the neighbor, who are created in your image.

No comments: